Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I'm not making this up

My freshmen are great kids and a lot of fun, but...

(A Black Crowes song playing from my computer during a tutoring session)
Student: Is that, like, Latin music?


Me (holding worksheet): "Ignore the second part of this; we are only going to complete this first part." (pointing to the top of two sections)
(Student staring off into space)
Me: Where is your worksheet?
Student: Huh? Oh...so, we do all of this?
Me: No, just the first part.
Student (points to the bottom half): This half?


Me (holding same worksheet...another class this time): In part B, don't forget to pick the correct verb and translate the sentences into English.
Student raises his hand: Do we have to translate these sentences into English?
Me: Oh good lord, are you serious?


(Student stares blankly at a page in his book)
Me: Why are you in Chapter 6?
Student: I'm trying to find what we're doing.
Me: What chapter are we in?
Student: I don't know... 5?
Me: So, why were you looking in Stage 6? By the way, we're not in 5. Want to take another guess?
Student: I don't know.
Me: What about that Chapter 4 Quiz you just took? And what about the board over there - with the schedule for Chapter 4 all over it?
Student: Oh (flips to the last page in Chapter 4) This page?
Me: No, this page is one of many pages in Chapter 4, but we are reading the story "Hermogenes"
Student (flips to a page titled "in basilica"): Is this it?
Me: Well, does it say Hermogenes on it?
Student: No
Me: Well, I'm guessing no. Try again.
Student (flips back one more page to the Hermogenes story)
Me: Is this it?
Student: I guess so.
Me: You guess so? Read that word out loud.
Student: Hermogenes
Me: Looks a lot like "Hermogenes" on the board over there doesn't it?
Student: Yeah, I guess so.


On a test:
Question: Give an English derivative for the latin word "ego" meaning "I"
Answer: Egotesticle


Me (talking to the whole class): So, what did your teachers do in middle school?
Student: My dad used to pick me up from school every day.
Me: Hey, thanks for that information.

1 comment:

Oliver and Nandita Köhler said...

I know it's frustrating for you, but it's pretty funny to read about it... good luck!