Again, I never would have imagined some of these scores. 5-0 Wigan?? Over Hull City, but still... What about a Chelsea/Tottenham tie (1-1)? Lampard had a great game, but had zero luck.
The result most convincing of better form in the future? Man City's 3-0 defeat of Sunderland. We've got one more day in the transfer market, but City debuted the return of Shawn Wright-Phillips, who scored two of those three goals. He was fantastic and may be worth even 15-18 goals this season.
It was a crazy week for Fantasy players, as both Torres (Liverpool) and Santa Cruz (Blackburn) were subbed out with injuries before the thirtieth minute. Meanwhile, you've got one of last year's whipping boys Wigan setting the scoring record for the new season.
I'm still loving Aston Villa, who were unlucky not to get three points from Liverpool. They played beautifully, trading momentum with the Reds throughout the game. Pepe Reina was huge is keeping Liverpool's goal empty.
With that said, Rafa Benitez is showing once again either that his best years as a coach are behind him or he was never all that. The Liverpool skipper spent way too much procuring Robbie Keane and, three games into the season, he still can't figure out how to use him. Keane is a central striker who works best receiving the ball at the top of the key. Benitez put him wide left (?!) where he was useless. Even after Torres came out, it took Rafa until the second half to make the change. If Keane shadows Torres in a sort of 4-4-1-1 formation, Liverpool takes that game easily.
Disturbing comments from Paul Ince, Blackburn's manager after his first defeat. I'm paraphrasing here, but basically, "Everything went against me and everything went for Curbs [West Ham gaffer Alan Curbishly]. I'm not happy because we had enough chances to change the course of the game. Curbs is obviously a lucky manager but I know he's also a top manager and I'm pleased for him." He goes on to say that calls "conspired" against him.
What's wrong with this picture? Everything went against me?? Every time I start to like the former Man United Red Devil again, he says something stupid like this.
And Stoke was again very close to pulling off the upset against Middlesborough. If Amdy Faye doesn't get sent off, they would have beat Gareth Southgate's men.
Southgate, by the way, I absolutely love. He's not a good manager and wasn't a stud soccer player... I love the guy because he is possibly the most quintessentially English of any of the EPL managers. Even his name reeks of irrelevant aristocratic arrogance. He even has desperately white teeth which, try as he may, can't hide the crooked chiclets Britain's lack of flouride produces. God bless him.
So, that's about it today. I have to admit that my thoughts are limited because I spent the matchday in Sanford Stadium watching a new Uga, an "old" Knowshon, an even "older" Stafford, and 12 freshmen crush Georgia Southern. Even so, I'm positive Ohio State will be #1 tomorrow. Well, it was fun while it lasted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment