Sunday, August 3, 2008

Last Day of Summer

This is it; I've got to go make an honest living tomorrow. This last day of summer is always a weird 24 hours because I'm anxious to get started, worried about what difficulties I'll encounter, and absolutely dreading my alarm going off at 5:20am for the next 10 months. If I could pay off someone to get the day moved up an hour, I totally would. Perhaps that would be a better allocation of my student loans!

So, what do I do on this last day? I try to make myself as bored as absolutely possible... I literally do nothing. Of course, amidst nothing, I start working on my school website and today cleaned up my office a little bit, but essentially, I just do nothing. Because I can. And, because after today I cannot.

What will this school year bring? Lord only knows. I figure I have a 50/50 shot of being called "The Destroyer of American Youth" again... same odds of winning an award. Both have happened before, so why not again.

My goal each year is that no one fail my classes. Contrary to some of my students' beliefs, I actually do want this, and do so with all my heart. I also hope to improve on the AP scores to the point that at least half earn 5's and no one earns less than a 4.

Here's to a good school year, about which I am excited if for no other reason than I am pretty bored right now.

Excellent. I'm ready to go.

No comments: