Friday, May 30, 2008

There's nothing like constantly being around 15 year olds to remind me I'm getting older

While I still see myself in my early-mid 20's, my students (unintentionally of course) remind me that just ain't true. Here are some tidbits from this past school year:

1. My references to "Friends" and "Seinfeld" go totally over their heads (I have a whole lesson plan on Roman Satire centered around these two shows and it is now totally useless).
2. My students do not know what "the grunge phase" is (I've asked them this directly). Oh yeah, my freshmen were born in 1993(!).
3. My jokes get more corny and worse every year, relying mostly on clever puns that only old people would appreciate. I rationalize this by the fact that the other half of my arsenal I can't use for fear of getting fired.
4. My one and only reference to the "Kennesaw Claw" was met with blank stares.
5. One student: "Hey Mr. Yaggy, how old are you?" Me: "31" Another student: "No way, that's how old my mom is."
6. One former student is now my colleague, teaching English at North.
7. Two of my former students have a child. I said 'child', not 'baby'...
8. A colleage of mine has repeatedly talked about her older sister, who graduated from my alma mater, Pope High School. I asked, "So, when did your sister graduate - '94, '95, '96?" Her answer was, "Oh my god no, she graduated in 2000." That's right, I am five years older than my colleague's older sister.

Okay, so that last one didn't involve one of my students, but I really wish it did.

No comments: